Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What Kind of Gear?


Good stuff. Most my readers are not going to be buying the same camera gear as I shoot with. Why? Because I shoot Pentax. I will mention my gear from time to time, but being a great photographer is not about what gear you have. It is about your vision and your ability to execute that vision. Gear helps you as a tool. But getting the same gear as another photographer will only help you as much as getting the same clubs as Tiger Woods and hoping to golf as well as he does.
Practice and work is so much more important than what gear you use. Get the best stuff you can afford. I suggest that you don’t spend more than you can pay cash for. Rent gear for temporary needs.
My gear…I have  Pentax K7 and K10d bodies. I have a fast fifty (Pentax 50mm f1.4), a Pentax 18-55mm kit lens, a Pentax 50-135mm F2.8, a Sigma 70-300mm F4.5-5.6, and a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 macro. I’ve got about 5 hot shoe strobes and a pair of studio lights. Someday soon I will catalog the whole set up.

And yes, I have a couple of  Brownie Hawkeye Flash cameras. Oh, and I occasionally use my Pentax K1000 too.

No comments:

Post a Comment