Tuesday, December 27, 2011

What is Model Photography Journeyman?

I have had so many people ask me about my journey into photography and specifically about working with models that I have decided to start a new blog dedicated to the art of model photography. I will discuss other aspects of photography as I understand them and how they relate to working in model photography.
I'm going to talk frankly about what has worked for me and what hasn't worked. I am happy to say I don't know something too.

Starting on January 1st, I am going to start a journey through my learning to work with models and share the things I've learned. I plan to post about 3 times per week. Along with my history of model work and how it progressed, I am going to be sharing new projects as well.

This photo is of Evangelina. I met her online and we chatted and set up a shoot. I needed to get some product shots and she wanted to build her portfolio. So we set up a trade where I got a model release and shot a series of hats with her and then we did her portfolio set in trade.  It was a cold November morning and a few snow flakes came down from time to time as we worked.

As I worked with Evangelina, it became apparent to me that I was not getting energetic or upbeat looks. So I decided to shoot for a more somber look to match her mood and energy.  As a photographer, you have a couple of options when you work with a model to create mood. You have to be sensitive to the dynamic of the model. You can either push for more, or you can try to match the energy level of the model and build from there. For me, usually matching the model energy is best for me, unless I really need something different that what the model is bringing to the shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment