Monday, January 2, 2012

Working With a Bright Background (Snow)


When you are working with a model in a location that is very bright one of your options is to expose for the highlights in the location and then add light to your subject.

Here Brandy is surrounded by very bright white snow.  You can set your exposure before you model ever gets out of the comfort of her nice warm truck.  What I did here is to set the exposure for the ambient light so that the snow was not over exposed and we did not blow out the highlights. At least, for the most part.  I then set up my strobe. I just used one strobe for these shots, on a stand with an umbrella. I shot in manual mode so then I used the tree to check the amount of light I was getting on the tree for balance, before bringing the model out into the cold.
Once the model was out, it only took a few seconds for some final adjustments to get the light like I wanted it.

This shot was a little different because the lighting was not static. I used a bare bulb strobe so I could get a longer throw and let the model run.


One hint when you are working with a mode in the snow like this...make sure they stay dry. Once they touch the snow or get wet they will get very cold and miserable very fast.

Now, go shoot some and try it out. I'd love it if you would share your results.

Happy Shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment